Senior Design Engineer
Title: Senior Design Engineer
Reports to: Design Engineer Manager
As part of the Yakima design engineering team this position will be responsible for design, testing, cost improvement, value engineering, analysis, and documentation of new products and/or redesign of current products, or manage reverse engineering programs using criteria established by the development team. The position will lead the technical efforts on larger product design projects. The position will create or lead in developing the Product Specification in collaboration with the development team. In addition the position will partner with the Offshore Design Team(s), Product Managers, Test Engineer(s), Fit Team and other groups to ensure design integrity. Other key aspects of this position contribute to achieving and sustaining the Yakima Strategic Business Plan and Initiatives, global competitive advantage, and profitable market growth strategy.
Scope & Responsibilities:
- Lead and design new products or refine existing product to meet the criteria set forth by the development team on-time and within budget.
- Lead the technical part of projects to meet cost, schedule, and resource requirements
- Design product solutions to cargo management needs
- Validate engineering designs through analysis and testing
- Document and communicate design to facilitate production
- Manage offshore design resources and reverse engineering programs.
- Collaborate with the Industrial Designer(s)/Engineer(s) to determine the proper form and style of the product.
- Produce product requirements that are fully and correctly defined, documented, developed, tested, delivered on schedule and within budget.
- Lead projects with multiple contributors to ensure the projects meet cost, schedule, and resource requirements
- Design innovative solutions to product needs that meet product requirements
- Produce completed engineering work using world-class processes and techniques Generate 2D Drawings, 3D CAD, PLM BOM’s, FMEA’s, testing, delivered on schedule and within budget.
- Maintain and improve existing products through cost, quality, manufacturing, and performance improvements
- Work with the offshore development team and Project Manager to keep the project on schedule and on budget.
- Validate designs through prototyping, testing, and analysis
- Determine product and tooling cost estimates.
- Determine the performance testing procedures for prototype and production parts, to test the viability of the new product and design equipment, and perform these tests if required.
- Document the design with: 3D CAD, 2D drawings, ECO’s, tolerance analysis, FMEA’s and FEA.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources to develop products on schedule and within budget
- Work closely with the offshore partners to design, validate, document, and produce products ensuring that the designs are high quality, manufacturable, and cost effective
- Use engineering/company programs to meet performance, cost and schedule requirements.
- Contribute to the Product Development Process and other sustaining engineering requirements to meet product and business performance metrics and timing requirements.
- Keep informed of latest developments in the field by reading, individual contacts, trade shows and attendance at appropriate meetings.
- Carry out other duties, responsibilities, and projects as may be assigned, in an effective manner.
- Degree in Design/Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5-10 years of related engineering work experience required
- 4+ years of consumer product design experience preferred
- Proficiency in the use of CREO or ProEngineer CAD software including Surfacing and FEA
- OR proficiency in the use of Solidworks CAD software
- Extensive knowledge of vehicle makes and models and automotive industry preferred
- A thorough understanding of manufacturing processes, test methods and basic machine shop practices, including but not limited to injection molding, vacuum forming, metal fabrication, die casting and extrusions
- Lean manufacturing experience, experience with off-shore manufacturers mechanism design, and knowledge of outdoor products or equipment preferred
- Experience using FEA software packages.
- Experienced using design tools such as FMEA and GD&T preferred
- Demonstrable creativity and innovative thinking
- Strong attention to detail and quality
- Capable of managing multiple projects in a deadline driven environment
- Written and Oral Skills: English mandatory. Bilingual fluency in Mandarin Chinese desirable
- Advanced level with P.C.’s: Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, PowerPoint
- 5+ years experience in completing and managing projects with minimal oversight and against aggressive timelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member and/or leader of a team
- Demonstrably effective interpersonal verbal and written communication skills, both within the department and cross-functionally
- Demonstrably excellent organizational and project/time management skills
- Knowledge of the outdoor sports hard goods and/or automotive industries a plus
- U.S. citizen or must possess valid INS Green Card
- Must possess a valid/current U.S. passport and ability to travel internationally without restrictions
- Able to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Able to perform general office and administrative duties: copying, filing, using a telephone, etc.
- Able to stoop, crouch, kneel, bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis
- Able to safely lift, move, and carry objects of up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Able to safely operate machinery in a Model Shop and Test Lab environment; such as, hand drills, drill press, sanders, electric hoists and various hand tools
- Able to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and operate hand tools and machinery
- Must have corrected vision to 20/30
- Requires close vision abilities
- Travel as required (up to 25% of time between domestic and international)
- Must be able to work overtime and weekends as required
- Able to speak and present information in small and large group settings
- Must be able to travel domestically and/or internationally via commercial carrier
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and a good driving record
- Building Trust
- Contributing to Team Success
- Decision Making
- Formal Presentation
- Information Monitoring
- Initiating Action
- Managing Conflict
- Managing Work
- Planning & Organization
- Quality Orientation
- Safety Awareness
- Work Standards
Comprehensive benefit package provided
To apply for this position please submit your resume and salary requirements to: SrDesignEngineer@Yakima.com