Review by RG
I used the Ridgeback 2 carrier on a trip to Alaska. One way the run was 2600 miles on some of the worse roads I have ever driven. I was concerned I would stop for the night only to find the bikes and rack had been torn from the hitch socket of the motor-home. Once at my destination I hosed off the bikes and rack storing it for the next trip. I would definitely recommend this carrier as a rugged bike hauler.
Solid Bike Rack
Review by Yeowoman
Never owned a bike rack before this one. This is a fantastic solid bike rack, and yes you do have to cram two bikes on it. But the bikes - loaded with tube tops for women's bikes, pipe insulation to prevent scracthing each other, and strapped onto the rack - make for a solid load that moves very little. The biggest problem is that I would feel safer if the hitch bolt went all the way through. But then tightening inside the hitch wouldn't work. Great quality for the price.
Review by Brad
I've had this rack since 2014. It's not a bad rack, and I've had no issues with putting 2 bikes on the rack. The only issue I have with this rack is the importance of having a bungee cord to place around the bike frame, and the rack itself so it doesn't sway up I the back from the wind driving down the road. It's a minor adjustment, but absolutely needed. I'm going for a platform bike rack next time
Great bike rack
Review by Kidterry
Decided on this one because of quality and function. It has a rock-solid feel and has functioned flawlessly so far. Highly recommended!!
Review by Captnsea
I like everything about it (without being over "picky"). The only problem I have not solved is getting the tube mount accessory to work very well. If anyone has a thought, it would be appreciated.
No room for two
Review by Gregg
Well made rack that is rock solid in the hitch but it is definitely not big enough for two bikes. That's disappointing since I needed rack for two bikes.
Limited Adjustments = Difficulty Loading
Review by Little Joe
While this is one of the better looking racks availble, the lack of adjustments, difficult release lever, and weak/expensive optional security integration has me feeling this purchase was a mistake.
- Clean look
- Quality build materials
- Locking mechanism to secure rack to hitch is very good
- Very easy to install/uninstall, though it is quite heavy
- Very difficult to mount more than 1 bike as the mounting positions are too close to eachother and not adjustable.
- The black release lever to hinge the rack away from the car is very finnicky and to be honest somewhat painful to the hand if it doesnt release on your first attempt.
- "YAKIMA" vinyl decal peeled right off (could be a pro?)
- The optional integrating locking cable is very expensive and so thin it provides no confidence to leave bikes on the rack.
- Slight wobble when in its upright/standard position.
Review by TuRBo
Good luck trying to fit 2 bikes on the 2 bike, or 4 on the 4, etc...arms are too short, placing bikes too close together.
Love this rack!
Review by Nate
Initially I had reviewed this product with everything about it being great except for a terrible rattling noise which has now been fixed. It is a really nice looking rack with great features & feels very solid. Can't wait for some better weather to break it in.
you'll like it, i promise
Review by Ryan
Overall, I was pretty surprised with the quality and how secure this rack is. And yes, it does have 2 bottle openers built into the end or each arm. The hitch receiver end has a red metal sleeve on it for 2" receivers. You can remove that by removing the 3 allen srews and sliding the sleeve off to fit the rack into a 1.25" receiver (which is what I'm doing). Installation can't be any easier... literally... Abridged installation instructions: slide this in the receiver, put the pin in, then turn the knob and turn the key, then you're golden.
- very, very secure. (i was playing around with it when it came in and actually wound up shaking the car around without the rack even beginning to nudge in the hitch)
- bikes on the rack are about as secure as you'd expect. a little movement front to back, but overall very secure. nothing to worry about
- rack sticks out far enough so that any movement wont let the bike hit the car
- didn't know this when i bought it but it comes with straps for the front wheel so you can secure it to the bike to prevent it from swinging around (even if it does it wont hit the car. not mine at least)
- while a little tight, it has plenty of room for 2 bikes without smacking them around (one of the straps it comes with is to secure the two together at the bottom to prevent that)