- The most bang for your buck in the top of car bike world)
- Simple tool-free installation and removal of the bike mount from your car roof rack)
- Skewer design allows one-handed adjustment)
- Streamlined tray compatible with most disc brakes)
- Doesn’t touch the painted surfaces of your bike)
- Fits round or square crossbars)
- Lockable skewer keeps your bike safe and sound (SKS Lock Cores sold separately)
- 1 bike up to 35 lb. Min of 16" crossbar spread
- Minimum and maximum crossbar spreads: 16” – 42”
- Weight: 5.40 lbs
- Dimensions: L 47.00” x W 7.25” x H 2.00”
Still Have Questions
Check out our FAQs for more answers.
Liked it, loved it, review it
Write a Review and help other people travel happy.
Write a Review
What People are Saying
Write a Review
Does NOT fit Disc Brakes
Review by MTB Boulder
Really folks if you ride a 29er with disc do not buy this rack, you will never get your disc brakes to fit? Is Yakima clueless...how do you make a rack that won't fit at least 50% of mountain bikes w/ normal to large size rotors. If you have a race bike with tiny rotors then your bike MIGHT fit. The majority of non racing mountain bikes (I have a Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er 3800 dollar bike, not racing but really nice) will not fit into this rack so don't even bother. The mechanism for locking in the fork is extremely counter-intuitive and will chew your fingers up.
Review by Jenny
Very easy to install and use, holds the bikes secure at all speeds
So as with most of the reviews I love the product, it filled the need and I don't have too many complaints. I will say 2 things as far as cons, the locking front part of the rack flares out as it goes back, and it rubs on my brake for my mountain bike that has disk brakes, I filed it off just a few mm, and it fixes the problem. Seems like that should have been addressed. Two, the rear strap that secures the back of the bike is too rigid, or the track is too deep, either way my road bike wheel isn't able to make contact with the strap which makes me worry it might rattle around alittle, although if it is I can't hear it or see it. Other then that I think it looked awesome, and its easy to use
Skewer needs work...
Review by Bicycle Diva
I had an older Yakima mount and the skewer started loosening when locked with the bike on or off. I purchased this mount to replace the old one and I have to say I am very disappointed. I cannot get it to fit on my square bars. I have to find someone stronger than me to force it, in order to get in on the square bars. I find the skewer very difficult to use and a real pain because even if it is locked, if it isn't tight, someone can unscrew it completely. (Yes, I just did it to be sure!) That means when you remove your bicycle, you have to screw it so it is tight when you lock it. A real pain because then when you get back from riding, you have to adjust it to the forks again. Yakima has always been a good company to deal with but this product needs more work.
Review by Jenny
Great product that feels stable even at 60 mph with a bike on it in heavy winds. I never worry about my bike falling off or even shifting when taking a corner. In all it is a great buy.
You get what you pay for..
Review by htownhman
This is a good rack! Easy to install, but you have to have either round or square bars.
this is a less expensive rack, but not cheaply built. What do you not get for your money?
1. The rack is not as long. For me this was a plus, as I have a wagon and it clears the tailgate when it is up. Forklift is longer and would not clear.
2. More expensive racks have a skewer that is easier to use. This one is not bad, but takes a bit of getting used to.
3. V vs. flat design. With this rack, if you have a very thin/small wheel or tire, the strap will not grip the tire directly. my son has a 24 inch road bike and that was the case with his bike. The more expensive racks are a flatter design, better able to handle unusual size wheels/tires.
4. Strap holding back wheel is easier to use and appears sturdier on the forklift (which I also have).
5. This will not attach to factory installed crossbars with odd shaped, forklift will.
If you can deal with these issues, you will be very happy with the viper. I am.
Login to access your saved vehicles